- Wensum Trust
- Alderman Peel High School
- Subject Pages
- Enterprise Media & Technology
- Food Technology
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be merrier world.” - J.R.R.Tolkien
Food Technology Staff: Mrs L Yarham & Mrs K Hagag
Food Technology is an inspiring and practical subject allowing students apply skills they have learned to the food that they produce in a creative way.
Key Stage 3
Students will begin by learning a range of cooking techniques, applying the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. As they progress through the Key Stage they will build their repertoire, resulting in them being able to make more complex products which they will be able to adapt. Areas of study include food from other cultures, seasonality, healthy eating, nutrition, designing with food.
Students are encouraged to discover where their food comes from and how to incorporate it in to their diet whilst following health and safety rules.
Key Stage 4
AQA GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition (for delivery from September 2017)
- EXAM: Paper 1: Food preparation and nutrition (50%) Written exam: 1 hour 45
- NON- EXAM ASSESSMENT (NEA): Task 1: Food investigation (15%) Written Report.
- NON- EXAM ASSESSMENT (NEA): Task 2: Food preparation assessment (35%) Written Portfolio
We also offer the Level 2 Basic Food Hygiene Qualification as an integral part of the GCSE
For more information, please visit the AQA webpage for GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition.
(This qualification is subject to change dependent on the cohort)
- The school takes part in the Future Chef Competition as well as an in house Bake Off Competition and an annual Macmillian Bake Sale.
- As part of Food Technology there are opportunities to take part in Catering Events both within the school and the wider community.