Miss Erzen’s Cornbread
Served at Thanksgiving!
• 1 cup (120g) cornmeal
• 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
• 1/3 cup (67g) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 2 Tablespoons (30ml) honey
• 1 large egg, at room temperature
• 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk, at room temperature*
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease and lightly flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
2. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and honey together until completely smooth and thick. Then, whisk in the egg until combined. Finally, whisk in the buttermilk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Avoid over-mixing.
3. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and the centre is cooked through. Use a toothpick to test. Edges should be crispy at this point. Allow to slightly cool before slicing and serving. Serve cornbread with butter, honey, jam, or whatever you like.
4. Wrap leftovers up tightly and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
1. Freezing Instructions: For longer storage, freeze baked cornbread for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave or bake in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 10 minutes.
2. Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. If you don’t have any, you can make a DIY sour milk by adding 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Then add enough whole milk to make 1 cup total. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes before using. Whole milk is strongly recommended for moistest, richest texture, but you can use lower fat or non dairy milk.
3. Optional add-ins: 1-2 chopped jalapeño peppers, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup total dried cranberries and walnuts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
4. Skillet Cornbread: Baking cornbread in a skillet gives it an even heartier, crunchy crust. Bake this cornbread in a 9-inch or 10-inch oven safe greased skillet at the same temperature for the same amount of time.