During their time at The PLACE we aim to support children:
- To connect – learn to build trust in The PLACE adults and to learn adults are there to help them. To help children develop the skills to make and maintain friendships
- To be empowered – help them understand how to help their bodies and brains stay calm and help them understand and manage their emotions
- To have a voice - learn that their opinions, feelings, emotions and needs are important and valued.
Our curriculum is a mixture of child led play and explorations and adult led learning, using the interests of the children. Their interests can fundamentally be engaged and gently challenged through the following themes:
- Engage - sharing stories, science, geography and history to incorporate ‘sneaky’ and irresistible learning.
- Explore - geography and personal, social and health education (PSHE) to explore their physical, emotional and social worlds; supporting and developing self-regulation skills.
- Evolve - science, history, number fun and PSHE to explore why things happen and that change is constant, learning to grow, aspire, cope with change and persist when things seem tricky.
- Express - the arts, design, Information Technology and PSHE to develop spoken language, expression and reading and writing skills.
In Term 1 our primary focus will always be to Connect through the Engage curriculum, to stabilise and build relational safety and trust.
Additionally, every child will have maths and English tasks tailored to meet their individual needs.