Remember that this is your first contact with your employer. You need to make a good impression!
Do not text your employer.
Before you pick up the phone
Make sure you have all the information that you need:
- A copy of the placement letter
- The name of the person or department you need to speak to
- Your CV in case you are asked, it will help you talk about yourself
- Have a pen and paper ready
- Try to ring from somewhere private and quiet.
- Be prepared to speak to someone else or to leave a message on an answer phone.
While you are speaking
- Speak clearly and confidently, you’ll be nervous but slow down!
- Remember to quote your correspondence.
- Be ready to spell out any unusual words, particularly your home address.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself and your skills and qualities.
- Make sure you know what will happen next:
- Where should I go on the first day and confirm the time?
- Who should I ask for?
- Have they invited you to go for an interview?
- Make sure you write down the date, time and place
- Thank the person you spoke to for their help and the opportunity to do work experience.
If the person is not there
- Leave a message!
- Make a note of what you will say and be clear about the next steps - such as when you are calling them back.
Do not expect them to call you.
- Try to be clear and concise - you only have one shot!