Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form is an ambitious and caring school. We provide a great variety of academic, social and cultural opportunities designed to help our young people to enjoy, achieve and succeed in all aspects of their life. Learning is at the heart of all we do. Through high quality teaching, we ensure every student's talents and abilities are catered for, allowing them to not just excel academically but also to develop skills which allow them to become more independent in their learning, in preparation for life beyond school. Our school also has the benefit of being part of The Wensum Trust which, alongside its strategic partners, continues to offer new and exciting opportunities for our students in an ever-changing world.
Our staff take pride in knowing each student as an individual and work tirelessly to ensure that their needs are met. We believe that maintaining effective partnerships between home and school is key to an enjoyable and successful education. Our attentive Pastoral Team have also proven to be incredibly effective in supporting individuals and in promoting the friendly atmosphere that can be found at Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form.
In everything we do, we aim to:
• Support our young people to enjoy, achieve and succeed;
• Provide equal opportunities for all students, regardless of gender, aptitude or cultural, ethnic or religious background;
• Offer a broad, balanced and knowledge-rich curriculum to all students;
• Prepare students for lifelong learning and to be active citizens in the world;
• Develop positive personal and social values: ambition, resilience, kindness, honesty and integrity;
• Provide continuity and progression throughout each student’s time at Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form.
Our aim is for every student at Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form to enjoy, achieve and succeed.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form is a safe and caring community, where the mental health and wellbeing of all is prioritised.
• The House system at Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form provides an opportunity for all students to have a sense of belonging.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form is a place where everyone matters.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form will help everyone to express and develop their individual interests, skills and strengths.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form is committed to every student making excellent progress at every stage.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form strives to make sure everyone achieves by ensuring everyone has equal chances in everything they do.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form uses education to transform opportunities and to enable everyone to fulfil their future ambitions.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form promotes success by offering a curriculum that is rich in knowledge, coherent in sequence and based on a broad and balanced range of subjects.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form helps students to succeed by challenging and supporting them to become enthusiastic, confident lifelong learners.
• At Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form, we define success as wider than examination results.
• At Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form, students are prepared to become active, successful citizens in our community and in the wider world.
• Hellesdon High School and Sixth Form celebrates diversity and gives everyone the opportunity to become successful in this ever- changing world.
Hellesdon High School is dedicated to preparing students for their adult life beyond the formal examined curriculum, serving the whole community and ensuring that we promote and reinforce British values to all our students. We follow equal opportunities' guidance which guarantees that there will be no discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of belief, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, political or financial status, or similar.
The five British values are:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
The examples that follow show some of the many ways Hellesdon High School seeks to embed British values through strategies within the national curriculum and beyond.
The principles of democracy are consistently reinforced at Hellesdon, with democratic processes being used for important decisions within the community. For example, our students vote to decide which charity their House is going to support. Students can also put themselves forward for "Ambassador", "Leader" and "Prefect" roles within our Student Leadership Team. Our regular sampling of student voice is also gathered democratically across the community. The principle of democracy is also explored in subjects such as PSHE and History as well as in assemblies.
Students take part in a consultation process when changes need to be made, such as the PSHE curriculum prior to implementation. When appointing new posts to the school, students are always involved in a student panel and we regularly seek students’ views on their provision through student panels and questionnaires. Students can voice their thoughts on school activities and processes through the School Council.
The Rule of Law
The importance of laws, whether they be those that govern the class, the school or the country are consistently reinforced at Hellesdon High School.
Students are taught Hellesdon’s rules and expectations, which are highlighted by the Code of Conduct. Students are taught the value and the reasons behind rules that govern and protect us, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken – both inside and outside of the school. Visits from authorities such as the police reinforce this message.
Staff at Hellesdon High School provide an empowering education and positive boundaries for students whilst actively encouraging them to make individual and informed choices in a safe environment.
Students are encouraged to know and understand their rights and personal freedoms and are advised on how to exercise these safely. This is delivered through the PSHE curriculum, assemblies and during tutor time. Hellesdon High School has a robust anti-bullying culture as result of a high-level pastoral support and a clear and comprehensive behaviour policy.
Respect is an integral part of Hellesdon High School and is part of its aims and values. Students learn that their behaviour has an effect on their own rights and those of others. All members of the school community treat each other with respect and this is reiterated through its teaching and learning environments. Mutual respect is embraced throughout the curriculum by providing the opportunity for students to express their views in a safe environment. Students are encouraged to express considered opinions with enthusiasm and respect for others.
This is achieved through equipping students with the ability to understand their place in a culturally diverse society and by creating opportunities to experience diversity within the school community. The RE curriculum provides a broad and balanced education on a range of faiths, religions and cultures. The syllabus helps students to have a broader understanding of spiritual, moral and sociological issues and encourages them to think about their own spiritual development.
Hellesdon High School strives endlessly to ensure that its students leave with the strongest foundation of values upon which to build a successful life and a successful contribution to our society.
Hellesdon High School officially became part of The Wensum Trust on 1 March 2016.
As part of The Wensum Trust, our school benefits from a wealth of opportunities to help achieve the Trust-wide ethos of developing happy and engaged children at all stages of the educational journey.
The Wensum Trust has schools situated within three geographical hubs across Norfolk, providing seamless transitions from early years through to sixteen plus. The City hub has schools in and around Norwich, the Rural hub includes schools in and around Acle and the Coastal hub comprises schools on the North Norfolk coast.
All three hubs work closely together to provide a rich and diverse range of experiences for children within all Trust schools. Community partnerships, often unique to The Wensum Trust, are developed locally with organisations such as the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation, North Walsham Rugby Club and Wells Sea Cadets, and made accessible across all three hubs. This creates an educational approach which is far broader and deeper than just the academic national curriculum and builds opportunities for all children to discover where they excel and to develop into confident, healthy and fulfilled members of society.
For more information on The Wensum Trust, please visit their website using the link below.